EIGHTEEN MAN THRESHING CREW IN 1900: ONE MAN TODAY
LOOK CLOSELY AT THE PICTURE AND ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS BELOW
PICTURE WAS TAKEN AROUND 1900 IN PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY, ONTARO, CANADA. POSSIBLY ON THE HUGHES FARM NEAR BLOOMFIELD (picture was given to Marjorie at the estate sale of Mable and Stanley Haines, Mabel was an aunt of Marjorie (Hughes) Skeoch)
1) Find the youngest thresher man, estimate his age.
2) Find oldest, estimate age
3) Find dirtiest thresher man, suggest his job
4) Find number of men with pitch forces, suggest their jobs
5) Find man with derby hat, how come the derby?
6) Find how many are wearing bib overalls, why?
7) Find number of bearded thresher men
8) Find Steam tractor.
9) Find horses. Guess number of teams being used (pitch fork men might help.. hint)
10) Find two men with thin smiles
11) Suggest why most faces are serious
12) Find the strongest man
13) Find the weakest man (just a guess…thin does not always mean weak)
14) Find a possible cowboy (big hat)
15) What does the term ‘mostly hat’ mean? (usually applied to men from the city)
16) Why did I guess that picture was taken around 1900
17) Who seems to be the owner of the steam tractor?
18) How many men seem to be farm owners?
19) How many men seem to be farm workers…hired men?
20) Explain why 18 men were needed to thresh in 1900 and only 1 man is needed today in 2018
21) Suggest the food menu laid our for these men after picture was taken.
22) Find the Steam Whistle
23) Find the man that looks most like your father, grandfather, great grandfather …yourself (male and female faces)
(Now fold up your answers and chew the paper. There is no free lunch contrary to question 21)